Course Name: Discrete Structures in CS Course Number: CS225_400
Term Offered: All Terms
Instructor name: Samina Ehsan
This is a course on discrete mathematics as used in Computer Science. It’s only a one-term course, so there are a lot of topics that it doesn’t cover or doesn’t cover in much depth. But the hope is that this will help you to develop mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills that you will need in future.
The subjects covered in this course include formal approach to the logic of Computer Science, including set theory, methods of proof, sequences, recurrence relations, combinatorics and graph theory.
- Weekly readings
- Q&A and discussion on Piazza
- Weekly home works
- 6 Quizzes ( Will not be proctored )
- Midterm exam ( Needs to be proctored. For more information please visit: http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/services/ proctoring/ . If you need assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-737-9281. )
- Final Exam ( Needs to be proctored. For more information please visit: http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/services/ proctoring/ . If you need assistance please contact email@example.com or 541-737-9281. )
The instructor's office hours are on Tuesdays from 18:00 -20:00 PST (by appointment) and Sundays 9:00 -11:00 PST (by appointment) via (Google chat/email/skype/etc.)
Please create a private post on Piazza or send her an email to set an appointment at least 12 hours before you need help.
- Samina Ehsan firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching Assistants -
Please create a private post on Piazza or send a personal email to set an appointment at least 12 hours before you need help.
- Anh Pham email@example.com
- Partha Sarathi Paul firstname.lastname@example.org
- Han-Ting Lin email@example.com
- Siddarth Mahendra firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thuan Nguyen email@example.com
- Yi-Chieh Wang firstname.lastname@example.org
- Piazza is the best way to reach the instructor and TAs for any course related query. We can refer back to our previous discussions here and also as it will be visible to the entire class. So, the other students will be able to get benefit from it. Not all posts require a reply from the instructor/TA and often it is better to have discussion in detail with your peers.
- Sending email email@example.com is the preferred way to only for matters of a personal nature related to the course (Please include the prefix CS-225_400_S18 in the subject). If needed, we can use Skype or Google Hangout for discussion. Please resend the email if the instructor does not respond within 24 hours.
- We will have constant TA support, so it should be possible to get office hour help at any time. You should create a private post on Piazza or email the TA personally in advance to set an office hour appointment.
- We will maintain virtual office hours using the class account firstname.lastname@example.org .
Course Guidelines / Syllabus / Weekly Schedule
The detailed guidelines for the course is as below -
The weekly schedule (Including the syllabus) for the course is as followed -
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.